Know The Facts About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Your risk of being poisoned by Carbon Monoxide (CO) may have been greatly increased since the impacts of Hurricane Sandy on Breezy Point, such as the increased use of emergency generators and portable heaters.

CO poisoning occurs when you inhale this potentially deadly gas for even relatively short periods of time. Common man-made sources include: 

  • Portable heaters
  • Charcoal grills and fireplaces
  • Malfunctioning furnaces
  • Improperly vented appliances

 Recognizing CO Poisoning

 According to the Centers for the Disease Control & Prevention, “the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain, and
  • Confusion.

High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.”

 

 Preventing CO Poisoning 

  • If you are using a portable heater in your home, make sure there is adequate ventilation by keeping a window open (just a few inches can be effective), even if it is cold outside.
  • Do not sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don't have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
  • Do not ever use a charcoal grill indoors – even in a fireplace.
  • Do not heat your house with a gas oven, even for a short time.
  • Do not idle the car in a garage -- even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home.
  • DO install a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home. A limited supply of FREE CO Detectors are available from the Point Breeze Fire Department and the Rockaway Point Fire Department.

  

For Help

If your CO detector alarm goes off or if you experience symptoms of CO poisoning: 

  • Shut down any portable heaters or sources of combustion
  • Go outdoors
  • Call the Point Breeze Fire Department at (718) 801-2219 or Dial 9-1-1